I said many times during the EU referendum campaign that the real agenda of many ToryKip Leave fanatics was to turn the UK into Sweatshop Britain – a tax haven with low levels of worker’s rights and minimal safety and environmental standards.This was often dismissed as (guess what?) "scaremongering".
But the warning signs were clearly there:
- Tory Minister Priti Patel suggested losing half our employment rights could boost the economy.
- Tory former adviser Steve Hilton backed Brexit to scrap maternity leave rights
- Ex DWP minister Iain Duncan Smith refused to confirm he wanted to scrap paid holidays and limits on working hours.
- Remain campaigners like Labour’s Hilary Benn asked Leavers to say which worker protections they would scrap (they wouldn't say).
And now this agenda has been confirmed by Chancellor Phillip Hammond, who is “threatening”other EU countries with the spectre of a tax haven sweatshop Britain.
Leaving aside how you can threaten others when the gun you’re holding is pointing at your own head, take heed of what is said including:
- Cutting corporation tax
- Changing the UK’s economic model
- Moving away from European style social model (tax funded healthcare & social security?)
COULD IT BE ANY CLEARER THAT TAX HAVEN SWEATSHOP BRITAIN IS THE ULTIMATE AIM OF THIS TORYKIP GOVERNMENT?
But wait a minute, didn’t PM May claim a (non-existant) mandate from the EUref ballot paper, namely that of delivering “change” in order to make Britain “a country that works for everyone”?
Turning the UK into a tax haven sweatshop is the very antithesis of country that works for everyone; it’s a country that enables big corporations to call the shots and exploit workers. This is most definitely NOT what many Leave voters thought they would get from Brexit. In fact it seems like the opposite of what was promised.
It’s also the antithesis of what Jeremy Corbyn's Labour party claim is their vision for Britain. Will this be the moment when the Labour party wake up from their Tory Brexit cheerleading and join the Liberal Democrats, Greens and SNP in opposing this Torykip government and its damaging plans for the country?
The battle for the soul of Britain has begun, and it's one we can't afford to lose!